Pharyngitis is inflammation of the pharynx, which is in the back of the throat. It’s most often referred to simply as “sore throat.” Pharyngitis can also cause scratchiness in the throat and difficulty swallowing.
More cases of pharyngitis occur during the colder months of the year. It’s also one of the most common reasons why people stay home from work. In order to properly treat a sore throat, it’s important to identify its cause. Pharyngitis may be caused by bacterial or viral infections.
Pharyngitis is caused by swelling in the back of the throat (pharynx) between the tonsils and the voice box (larynx).
Most sore throats are caused by colds, the flu, coxsackie virus or mono (mononucleosis).
There are numerous viral and bacterial agents that can cause pharyngitis. They include:
- Adenovirus, Which Is The Cause Of The Common Cold
- Croup, Which Is A Childhood Illness Distinguished By A Barking Cough
- Whooping Cough
The most common bacterial infection of the throat is strep throat, which is caused by Group A streptococcus. Rare causes of bacterial pharyngitis include gonorrhea, chlamydia, and corynebacterium.
Signs and Symptoms
The symptoms of pharyngitis include the following:
- Sore throat
- Pain when swallowing
- In rare cases, difficulty breathing
- Inflammation of the membrane lining your throat
- An extra membrane or the appearance of pus in your throat (can appear as white patches on tonsils or back of throat)
- Enlarged lymph nodes in your neck
HOW HOMOEOPATHY HELPS????
If you keep getting any condition, it’s saying that your body isn’t strong enough to cure you. In other words, your immune system is compromised. The best treatment for any condition is to build your immune system up. Homoeopathic treatment helps to boost up your immune system and thereby expels the bacteria or virus outside the body which is troubling you.
Homeopathic medicines do not have any side-effects as these are sourced from natural substances. Homeopathic remedies eradicate the recurring tendency of sore throat as they address the underlying cause of the medical condition Homeopathic medicines go to the root of the problem and provide a lasting cure for sore throat. Homeopathic treatment for sore throat is of great help for people of all age groups.
Croup is a type of respiratory infection that is usually caused by a virus. The infection leads to swelling inside the wind pipe, which interferes with normal breathing and produces the classic symptoms of "barking" cough, stridor, and a hoarse voice. Feverand runny nose may also be present. These symptoms may be mild, moderate, or severe.Often it starts or is worse at night. It normally lasts one to two days.
Croup is most often caused by viruses such as parainfluenza RSV, measles, adenovirus, and influenza. It tends to appear in children between 3 months and 5 years old, but it can happen at any age. Some children are more likely to get croup and may get it several times. It is most common between October and March, but can occur at any time of the year.
More severe cases of croup may be caused by bacteria. This condition is called bacterial tracheitis.
Croup may also be caused by:
- Breathing in something that irritates your airway
- Acid reflux
Croup often begins as a typical cold. If there is enough inflammation and coughing, a child will develop a loud barking cough. This often is worse at night, and is further aggravated by crying and coughing, as well as anxiety and agitation, setting up a cycle of worsening symptoms. Fever and a hoarse voice are common, too. Your child's breathing may be noisy or labored.
Diagnosis made by physical examination which may show chest retractions with breathing. When listening to the child's chest through a stethoscope, the health care provider may hear:
- Difficulty breathing in and out
- Decreased breath sounds
Homeopathy is a wonderful method for treating croup. If the correct medicine is chosen, croup can resolve very rapidly. As with all homeopathic treatments, the goal is to identify thesimillimum, the remedy that most closely matches the patient’s presenting symptoms and mental-emotional state. The power of homeopathy for treating croup is out of proportion to the expectation.
NASAL BLOCKAGE IN CHILDREN AND ADULTS
Blocked nose can also be referred to stuffy nose or nasal congestion which is one of the mostcommonly occurring problem. Nasal congestion occurs when the tissues lining the nose becomes swollen due to the inflamed blood vessels. Nasal Obstruction is a partial or complete blockage of one or both of these air passages. It is usually apparent right after birth when the newborn has difficulty breathing or breathing is noisy. When these babies cry, their breathing improves because the air is moving in and out of the mouth freely. Breathing problems are very problematic during feeding.
In newborns, nasal congestion is a common condition and rarely may cause serious health problems. In older children, the nasal passages are very tiny and get blocked easily making breathing difficult. Nasal congestion usually is just an annoyance for older children and adults. But nasal congestion can be serious for children whose sleep is disturbed by their nasal congestion, or for infants, who might have a hard time feeding as a result.
If nasal congestion is not treated it can lead to problems in ears, may interfere in hearing, and speech development. It may also cause sleep apnoea and snoring problems in children as well as in adults.
Causes of blocked nose are
- Infection - Common cold, flu, and sinus infection are all caused by virus infection. These viruses are transmitted by air which causes the nasal tissues to swell up. If the nasal mucous turns yellow or green, it means that bacterial infection has also occurred. Sinus infection also causes nasal congestion which leads to thick discharge of mucous. Viral infections commonly occur in children because of poor resistance against these germs, and one of the conditions is common cold.
If the nasal sinuses are inflamed it leads to a condition called as sinusitis that causes inflammation of sinuses in and around the nasal region causing nasal blockage.
- Polyps (fleshy growths in nose) or tumors in nose - Due to infection of the nasal sinuses, polyps develop in the nose which further causes asthma and chronic cough
- Structural abnormalities - Deformities of the nose and nasal septum (cartilage that divides the nasal cavity into two nostrils) can also lead to nasal congestion. These deformities occur due to injury in childhood which will lead to obstruction while breathing
Enlarged adenoid glands are one of the common causes of nasal congestion in children. Adenoid glands are small tissue located at the back of the nose.
- Allergies - Allergy occurs as a result of inflammatory response to allergens such as pollen, dust mites, house dust, and animal dander, tobacco smoke. The inflammation is mediated by a substance called histamine that may cause congestion. Dust mites are a type of allergen, microscopic insects that live in dust under humid conditions. They are commonly found under furniture, bed, and carpets.
- Vasomotor rhinitis - Rhinitis is the condition that causes inflammation of the nasal membranes and vasomotor nerves are the nerves that control the blood vessels. Membranes of the nose have the ability to expand and contract. During the allergic response these membranes expand leading to nasal congestion. Some of the factors that expand these membranes are irritants such as perfume, tobacco smoke, and psychological stress.
The Homeopathic treatment for blocked nose is very effective and is safer and provides a permanent cure and prevent further reoccurrences. The Homeopathic medicines are very capable and competent in the treatment of a blocked nose. The Homeopathic medicines are decidedly more effective than nasal sprays and decongestants. Homoepathy considers an individual as a whole and after a detailed case taking remedies are selected. The most suitable Homeopathic remedies are chosen after looking at and analysing the symptoms in each individual. The cause of the disease is traced out by detailed examination. Homeopathic remedies for blocked nose not only ensures relief from symptoms, but also roots out the cause of the blocked nose.
A sneeze, or sternutation, is a semi-autonomous, convulsive expulsion of air from the lungs through the nose and mouth, usually caused by foreign particles irritating the nasal mucosa. A sneeze expels air forcibly from the mouth and nose in an explosive, spasmodic involuntary action resulting chiefly from irritation of the nasal mucous membrane. Sneezing is possibly linked to sudden exposure to bright light, sudden change (fall) in temperature, breeze of cold air, a particularly full stomach, or viral infection, and can lead to the spread of disease.
The function of sneezing is to expel mucus containing foreign particles or irritants and cleanse the nasal cavity. During a sneeze, the soft palate and palatine uvula depress while the back of the tongue elevates to partially close the passage to the mouth so that air ejected from the lungs may be expelled through the nose. Because the closing of the mouth is partial, a considerable amount of this air is usually also expelled from the mouth. The force and extent of the expulsion of the air through the nose varies.
Part of your nose’s job is to clean the air you breathe, making sure it’s free of dirt and bacteria particles. In most cases, your nose traps this dirt and bacteria in mucus. Your stomach then digests the mucus, which neutralizes any potentially harmful invaders.
Sometimes, however, dirt and debris can enter your nose and irritate the sensitive mucous membranes inside your nose and throat. When these membranes become irritated, it causes you to sneeze.
Sneezing can be triggered by allergens, viruses like the common cold or flu, nasal irritants, inhalation of corticosteroids through a nasal spray, or drug withdrawal.
Allergies are an extremely common condition caused by your body’s response to foreign organisms. Under normal circumstances, your body’s immune system protects you from harmful invaders like disease-causing bacteria. If you have allergies, your body’s immune system identifies typically harmless organisms as threats. Allergies can cause you to sneeze when your body tries to expel these organisms.
Infections caused by viruses such as the common cold and flu can also make you sneeze. According the Mayo Clinic, there are more than 100 different viruses that can cause the common cold.
Less Common Causes
Other, less common causes of sneezing include:
- Trauma to the nose
- Withdrawal from certain drugs
- Inhaling irritants, including dust and pepper
- Breathing cold air
- Burning, itchy, or watery eyes,
- Nasal congestion or runny nose,
- Sore throat,
- Air Pollutants
- Cold Air
- Drug Withdrawal
- Exposure to Bright Light
- Spicy Foods
- Strong Emotions
- Viral Infection
Homeopathy is a wonderful method for treating sneezing. If the correct medicine is chosen, sneezing can resolve very rapidly. As with all homeopathic treatments, the goal is to identify the simillimum, the remedy that most closely matches the patient’s presenting symptoms and mental-emotional state. The power of homeopathy for treating sneezing is out of proportion to the expectation.
RECURRENT ATTACK OF COLD OR RHINITIS
It is defined as the inflammation of the mucous membrane of nose. It is the commonest infection affecting the human body. It is mainly divided into Acute Rhinitis, Chronic Rhinitis, Allergic Rhinitis and Vasomotor Rhinitis. An adult can expect 2-4 colds a year, and a young child about 3-8 colds a year.
Acute Rhinitis is the acute inflammation of the mucous membrane of the nose. It can be viral, bacterial or irritative type. Chronic Rhinitis is the chronic non-specific inflammation of the nose. Allergic Rhinitis can be ige mediated type 1 hyper sensitivity reaction of the mucous membrane of the nasal air way. Vasomotor Rhinitis is a perennial non-allergic Rhinitis.
Rhinitis caused by unhygienic condition, viruses, bacterias, climactic condition, endocrinal or metabolic disorder, stress
- Sneezing followed by stuffiness in nostrils.
- Nasal discharges.
- Post nasal discharge.
- Loss of sense of smells and taste impairment.
- Itching in nose, eyes, palate and pharynx.
- Feverish feeling.
Homoeopathy treats the person and not the disease. The totality of symptom forms the basis of selection of indicated medicine. Homoeopathy is the latest and refined method of treating the patients economically and non- violently. Homoeopathy has good scope and effective treatment for Rhinitis. Rhinitis often responds well to homoeopathic remedies which is a tremendous advantage over modern medicine which has no cure for the Rhinitis. Homoeopathy emphasizes treating the underlying imbalance in the immune system rather than simply fighting the infection although the moment, fighting the infection may be the priority. Homoeopathy treats the person as a whole. It means that homoeopathic treatment focuses on a patient as a person, as well as his pathological condition.
Mastoiditis is an inflammation of mastoid process (bone), the portion of the temporal bone of the skull that is behind the ear. Mastoid process contains open, air-containing spaces. Mastoiditis used to be a leading cause of child mortality.
Mastoiditis can be acute, chronic or recurrent.
Mastoiditis usually occurs following an untreated middle ear infection. Bacteria from the middle ear can spread to the inner ear, infecting the mastoid cells of the mastoid bone.
Cholesteatoma can also cause mastoiditis. This is an abnormal collection of skin cells inside the ear which may prevent the ear draining properly, leading to infection
The symptoms of mastoiditis are similar to those of an ear infection. They include:
- drainage from the affected ear pain
- hearing loss in the affected ear
- redness, swelling, and tenderness behind the affected ear
- Fever, may be high or suddenly increase
In some cases, mastoiditis may result in the development of a brain abscess or other complications involving the skull. The symptoms of these conditions include severe headaches and swelling behind the eyes. This swelling is known as papilledema.
It is best diagnosed clinically with the help of detail history and physical examination. CT scan, MRI and X-ray help to confirm the diagnosis and evaluate the extent of disease.
Homeopathic medicines help to treat the acute infection as well as the chronic and recurring infections. However, chronic and recurring Mastoiditis finds excellent treatment using homeopathy. Medicines are chosen based on some symptoms similarity, ie., constitutional approach, extent of pathology and investigational findings. Some of the commonly indicated medicines are Mercurious solubus, Mercurious-iodum flavum and rubrum, Asafetida, Kali iodum, Pulsatilla nigra, Tuberculinum, etc. Homeopathy is strongly recommended in all chronic cases of Mastoiditis.
ACUTE SUPPURATIVE OTITIS MEDIA (ASOM)
Acute suppurative otitis media (ASOM) is inflammation of the middle ear cleft due to bacterial infection.
It is most common in children between the age of 3 to 7. Such infants have a short, wide, more horizonally placed eustachian tube than adults, allowing contamination from the regurgitation of feed. Poor sanitation, over-crowding and malnutrition are all risk factors in children. Risk factors in all age groups include recurrent or chronic rhinosinusitis, chest disease and eustachian tube dysfunction (hypertrophy of the adenoids, cleft palate).
ASOM is a bacterial disease caused by pus forming organisms. Common organisms include: Beta haemolytic streptococcus (40%), Haemophilus influenzae (30%), Moraxella catarrhalis (10%).
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
- Deafness - a conductive hearing loss which progresses
- Pain - due to accumulation of pus and pressure necrosis of the tympanic membrane
- Otorrhoea - occurs after episodes of pain, and is due to perforation of the tympanic membrane and release of pus
- Pyrexia - children are typically fretful with a high (>39 degrees c) pyrexia
- Tympanic membrane - is initially dull, and then becomes hyperaemic. Eventually becomes full, angry and red, and finally perforates if unresolved
Acute Suppurative Otitis Media is being an inflammatory condition is easily curable by Homoeopathy. It considers the symptoms peculiar to the individual rather than the common symptoms of a case. A medicine capable of producing the peculiar symptoms as well as the pathology in a healthy individual is used for the prescription. It can bring a harmonious cure. Remedies like Pulsatilla, Hepar Sulph, Kali Mur are commonly found beneficial in the treatment of ASOM.
CHRONIC SUPPURATIVE OTITIS MEDIA (CSOM)
Chronic suppurative otitis media (CSOM) is middle ear inflammation of greater than two weeks that results in episodes of discharge from the ear. It is a chronic inflammation of the middle ear and mastoid cavity. It may be a complication of acute otitis media. Pain is rarely present. Clinical features are recurrent otorrhoea through a tympanic perforation, with conductive hearing loss of varying severity.
Risc factors include recurrent attack of acute otitis media (AOM), Living in crowded condition, Attending daycare and Craniofacial anomalies like cleft lip or palate, Down's syndrome, cri du chat syndrome, choanal atresia and microcephaly.
- CSOM presents with a chronically draining ear (>2 weeks), with a possible history of recurrent AOM, traumatic perforation, or insertion of grommets.
- The otorrhea should occur without otalgia or fever.
- Fever, vertigo and otalgia should prompt urgent referral to exclude intratemporal or intracranial complications.
- Hearing loss is common in the affected ear. Ask about the impact of this on speech development, school or work. Mixed hearing loss (conductive and sensorineural) suggests extensive disease.
- The external auditory canal may possibly be oedematous but is not usually tender.
- The discharge varies from fetid, purulent and cheese-like to clear and serous.
- Granulation tissue is often seen in the medial canal or middle ear space.
- The middle ear mucosa seen through the perforation may be oedematous or even polypoid, pale, or erythematous.
Many homeopathic medicines are used to successfully remove the recurrence of otitis media. Homeopathy cure can boost up the immune system and successfully prevent and treat various infections, leading to stronger and healthier individuals who do not get severely or recurrently ill.
Meniere's disease (MD) is a disorder of the inner ear that is characterized by episodes of feeling like the world is spinning (vertigo), ringing in the ears (tinnitus), hearing loss, and a fullness in the ear. Typically only one ear is affected, at least initially; however, over time both ears may become involved. Episodes generally last from 20 minutes to a few hours. The time between episodes varies. The hearing loss and ringing in the ears may become constant over time.
The cause of Ménière's disease is unclear but likely involves both genetic and environmental factors.
Symptoms are believed to occur as the result of increased fluid build up in the labyrinth of the inner ear. Diagnosis is based on the symptoms and frequently a hearing test.
It affects between 0.3 and 1.9 per 1,000 people. It most often starts in the 40s to 60s. Females are more commonly affected than males.
Signs and symptoms of Meniere's disease include:
- Recurring episodes of vertigo. You have a spinning sensation that starts and stops spontaneously. Episodes of vertigo occur without warning and usually last 20 minutes to several hours, but not more than 24 hours. Severe vertigo can cause nausea and vomiting and sweating.
- Hearing loss. Hearing loss in Meniere's disease may come and go, particularly early on. Eventually, most people have some permanent hearing loss.
- Ringing in the ear (tinnitus). Tinnitus is the perception of a ringing, buzzing, roaring, whistling or hissing sound in your ear.
- Feeling of fullness in the ear. People with Meniere's disease often feel pressure in the affected ears (aural fullness) or on the side of their heads.
- a sensation of being pushed sharply to the floor from behind.
- Sudden falls without loss of consciousness (drop attacks) may be experienced by some people.
After an episode, signs and symptoms improve and might disappear entirely. Episodes can occur weeks to years apart.
Homoeopathic treatment is strongly recommended in the treatment of Menier’s Disease. Homoeopathy provides a holistic approach to every disease and we try to find an individual remedy for each case. A detailed case analysis includes the general physical and mental constitutional make-up of the patient plus the symptoms in the sexual sphere and the underlying cause that is hindering the fertility process and needs to be corrected. Homoeopathic medicines Harmoniously brings the cure without any side effect. It is not merely a symptom relieved. When the disease process steps back symptoms are also relieved. This is made possible through stimulating the body’s healing power.